Tuesday, November 4, 2008

How long will you live?

Try this exercise: subtract your current age from 90, and then multiply by 12. If you were to live to age 90, that is how many months you would have left (I know some of you may be past 90 and some of us may live way past 90, but this is an illustration, so work with me, will you?). Take a look at that number; does it seem smaller that you would have thought? A speaker at a conference I attended had the audience do this exercise and I was struck with the fact that all in all we are here, but for a relatively short time. This week I officiated at the funeral of one of our members who went home to be with the Lord just shy of his 90th birthday. I reminded the folks at the service and I remind you, that in light of time, let alone eternity, life is very short.

So how do we respond to this reality? I would suggest that we make every day and every moment count. As the Apostle tells us… “See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.” (Eph. 5:15-16) We need to bring purpose to our days and live our lives for His glory; this is the purpose for which we were made.

It is my prayer that I may use my remaining 504 months (?) for Him; won’t you join me?

Jesse Waggoner

No comments: