Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Giant Penny

What if you could take a penny and grow it to giant size, how about a penny that is 8 feet tall? In case you are wondering where I am going with this, it all started earlier in the week when I was taking the picture (shown above, click on it for an even better view) that you will see as the background slide on the big screens to accompany my message Sunday morning. Using a macro lens, I was able to obtain a close up of a shiny new penny and thus make it look huge, first on my computer screen and today on the big screens which are 8 feet tall.

But what if we could really enlarge a coin? I mean more than just taking a tiny copper image of Lincoln and expanding it; I mean making it of more value than it is. This is not some get-rich-quick scheme; there is a way to inflate its value. How, you ask --by making it an offering to God. By so doing, we take that which has an earthly value and grant it eternal value. I think one of the reasons that God is so pleased when we give to Him is that He knows that we value our possessions, and when we take that which is of value to us and worshipfully ascribe value to Him, He is pleased, honored and glorified.

In this time when we are seeing many investment shrink, it would be good to remember the next time you are putting your offering in the basket, that you are making your money grow!

Jesse Waggoner

No comments: