Wednesday, November 12, 2008

No Pain, No Gain

Some time ago I was in a doctor’s office for a "simple and minor procedure." The words "simple and minor" were the doctor's words, not mine. If it's my body, it is always major. I must give the doctor credit- he didn't lie to me with the "it won't hurt a bit" line. In fact, he informed me it would hurt. To quote him..."I know pain, I inflict it every day." Rather sadistic sounding words from a physician, but he was right! I am sorry to whine about my pain, for I know many of you are dealing with a lot worse pain than I am. Pain, however, is a necessary ingredient in life.

It is necessary for us. It warns us when something is wrong and needs attention. The memory of a burn makes us more careful around fire, etc. Pain can also be used of God in the process of maturing us (Rom. 5:3). This Sunday we will examine the major theme of the book of First Peter- the place of suffering in a believer’s life. For a head-start you may want to read 1 Peter 3:12-4:22. Together we will discover that even the bad experience of life can be that which God can use for His own perfect purposes. For a follower of Christ, pain can always result in gain. If you want to learn how, just dig in with me in today’s study. Your pain may not magically go away, but you will leave assured that God’s intentions are for our and His best.

Jesse Waggoner

No comments: