Thursday, October 2, 2008

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross


In 1707 Issac Watts wrote and published "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross." Of this beloved Hymn Charles Wes­ley re­port­ed­ly said he would give up all his other hymns to have writ­ten this one. The tune we use with this song today was written by Lowell Mason in 1824. Somewhere in my childhood the congregation of the Elizabeth Methodist Church introduced me to this song that has become on of my favorites. It expresses so eloquently the reality that compared to the cross of Christ all else matters little.

When I get a little bent of of shape - I need to refocus my gaze and allow my heart to meditate once more Christ's sacrifice, in so doing I am snapped back to seeing only Him and having my self-focus dissolve at the foot of the cross.

Truly..."Love so Amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life my all."

Chris Tomlin and Matt Redman have given this song a modern flavor - I hope you enjoy this "music video" version of this classic song


No comments: