Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Were you ever asked this question when you were a child: “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I recently asked this question to our pastoral staff and found out that they wanted to be…. a radio disk jockey, an architect, a veterinarian, a fireman, the President, a detective, and an auto mechanic. Quite a list isn’t it? If you think the list is a strange one, then ask yourself what you wanted to be. If you want to find out which desired profession goes with which pastor – you will just have to ask them.

Even though it is rare that a childhood dream becomes a reality, we often devote significant resources to prepare for an earthly occupation. The current average cost of a four-year college degree is nearly $25,000 for a public university, and more than $80,000 for a private college. The fact that we are willing to pay such prices indicates the value we place on ourselves and our families.

Regardless of our career path, God’s dream for you can become reality. He has already revealed what He wants you to be when you grow up. It is not a profession or vocation, but it is a character that matches His. The question for today is: How much are you investing in becoming what God wants you to be? Are you investing in Bible study, prayer, service, giving and living a life of obedience to God? If yes, keep it up. If no, reorder your life today. Your spiritual growth and maturity are worth the investment.

Jesse Waggoner

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jesse,

I enjoyed the simple truths in your Blog. Easily understood, and therefore, easily applied.

I have a suggestion for another topic: Would you please write on “humility?”
I haven’t a clue as to what humility is or how one gets it. All I know is that I don’t have it. Perhaps you could help?

Peter Faulkner used to kid me all the time with, “Evelyn, get some humility!” One day, I answered, “Peter, tell me how to SPELL it, and I’ll look it up in the dictionary!” He left laughing.

So, I came home wondering about it. I asked one of the old guys here at Edgewood Summit who always had an answer for everything: “George, am I a humble person?” He put his hands in his pockets, rocked back on his heels, and a small smile developed. It quickly widened into a grin, and then finally into raucous laughter as he moseyed off, shaking his head, ‘NO.”

Please, tell your readers about humility. I even have your title: “Humility 101: What it is and how you get it.”

If you do that, I’ll send this note of mine, along with your Blog answer, on down to Peter.

Evelyn