Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Birth Announcements

I have been thinking of all the ways people have announced a new arrival to me. I have received phone calls, cards, letters, e-mails, notes, text messages, personal messages, been given pictures, cigars (which I didn't smoke), lollipops (which I did enjoy), and candy bars. We once had neighbors who let us know of their new baby via a large stork sign in their yard. I do appreciate and feel a bit special that someone would include sharing such good news with me.

Have you ever stopped to consider how God announced the birth of His Son, and to whom He chose to deliver the announcement? He didn't write it in in the sky, He didn't send out a press release, He didn't send a dispatch to the king or congress. He instead dispatched a band of angels to a nameless group of shepherds. Why shepherds? I have been asking myself the same question as I prepare for Sunday's message. I am sure by then I will have a few more possibilities but I will try this one on you. Perhaps he choose the most ordinary of people, so that He could show us that His message can be passed on through ordinary people. Luke 1:17 tells us... "Now when they had seen Him, they made widely known the saying which was told them concerning this Child." We really don't need to be that special to make Him widely known; we just need to do it.

This time of year gives us great opportunities to announce Jesus birth to others, so they may have a "One on One" relationship with Him. Let's do it together!

Jesse Waggoner

No comments: